What are the very first signs that you might be pregnant?
This month is dedicated to everything pregnancy here on TalkMum; so what are the very first signs that you might be expecting? We're talking the really early signs...the little things, the 'Am I? Could I be..?' symptoms before your period is even really late, the ones spur you on to take that positive test.
So from sore boobs to going off tea, here's ten of the pregnancy clues you may or may not notice, with input from some of our favourite bloggers:
1) Sleep is a key sign; or lack of for some people. 'My earliest sign of pregnancy was insomnia. I sleep more with a newborn than I do pregnant' according to Amber, The Goblin Child. 'Both times I've had really disturbed sleep in the first few weeks' says mum of two Hannah from Make, Do and Push. 'That's when I knew I was pregnant for the second time as we were on honeymoon and there was no reason why I shouldn't be sleeping as we were child-free!! Those first rushes of hormones can also cause very intense and vivid dreams. TalkMum blogger Jenny said she was 'just really, really tired' and for Emma it was the 'all-encompassing exhaustion.'
3) Other bodily changes, including an increase in that most glamorous of things, cervical mucus, can be an very early early symptom (it usually dries up completely before your period arrives if you're not pregnant). And some people experience mild pain or spotting when the egg implants into the womb. 'Implantation bleeding was my earliest sign, although I didn't know that's what it was until later' says Clare from A Wee Bit of Cake while Sam from Life of Mum had 'period-type pains.' Both Lisa and Emily experienced bloating, and for Becky the big clue was a very early bump
4) You might also notice a more sensitive nose...'My sense of smell went into overdrive and everything smelt awful (like the kitchen fridge!)' says Fritha from Tigerlilly Quinn. 'I always get a very specific smell in early pregnancy' Hayley, Sparkles and Strechmarks. And for Ali, a quite inconvenient problem 'The smell of my new kitchen repulsed me! I couldn't go in there for at least the first twelve weeks.'
5) There's a lot to be said for mother's intuition. 'I had a 'feeling' something was different, it was very strange. I then began to dislike smells and the thought of food, especially meat' Lisa from LeeLee Loves. Similar with Chelle from The Mumington Post 'I just knew! Every time took a test the day before my period was due: when people ask me why I took a test I still can't answer with why!' And same for Hana from Hi Baby 'I just knew.'
6) Surprisingly, other people might notice first. 'My toddler daughter became obsessed with my belly and started wanting to lie her face on it at nap time and bedtime' says Petra, A Mum Reviews. Same goes for Kate who blogs at Family Fever 'My toddler became super-clingy!'
7) While it might be too early for the cravings to set in just yet, aversions or taking a dislike to certain foods and drinks is a clue. 'I just couldn't stomach tea' says Lauren of Belle Du Brighton. 'That's how I knew with my second pregnancy at just three weeks.' And have things started to taste funny? 'The copper taste in my mouth was the first sign' according to Dawn from Mummy's Little Peeps.
8) Crying at adverts..? 'Even before my missed period, I was already feeling more emotional and crying more easily' says Petra.
9) Tender or sensitive breasts can also be a symptom of early pregnancy. Laura from Life with Baby Kicks said 'I was lying on Copocobana beach with the sorest boobs in the world and just knew. My Portuguese wasn't good enough to get a test so we had to wait until we got home!'
10) And sometimes, the clues you'd expect are all there. 'I knew as soon as I needed the loo at 3am. Also with my fourth baby when I started randomly being sick at 5 weeks it was a clear sign!' Susanne who blogs at Ghostwriter Mummy.
What were your earliest signs of pregnancy? Leave a comment and let us know.
Gill Crawshaw writes A Baby on Board, a blog about London life as a tired mum of two.